Climbing gear List
Fair weather rock climbing is one the most fun things you will ever do outside. Far from the turbulent weather of the mountains, most of our days at the crag are spent chasing sun or shade instead of running from storms. At Smith Rock, our main concerns are usually dehydration and sunburn rather than altitude sickness and cold injuries. Regardless, good gear will make your climbing that much more enjoyable.
If you have any questions regarding the gear you will need for your climb, be sure to ask the office or your guide in advance of your program. Please call or email us if you have any questions. We’re here to help.
Please make sure you bring all of the items on this equipment list!
Clothing systems for rock climbing in fair weather do not need to be exclusively technical. We do, however, recommend wearing clothes that allow for a full range of motion and can stand up to the abuse of climbing. Shorts can certainly be appropriate for warm days. In addition to your regular clothing, we recommend that you also bring the following items.
- Softshell jacket or windshirt: A softshell jacket can also serve as a midlayer, but is even more useful as it can also be worn as a shell in less extreme conditions. These light, breathable jackets will repel wind or light precipitation and are far more breathable than their waterproof bretheren. Patagonia Guide, Houdini and Traverse jackets are great examples.
- Down or synthetic insulated jacket (fall through spring): For chilly days, it can be nice to have something to pull on when you’re not moving. It should be large enough to fit over your other clothes including the shell jacket and will be worn at rest breaks or during class time. Synthetic fill is less expensive and will still keep you warm even when wet. The Patagonia DAS Parka or Fitz Roy Down Jacket are good examples. For climbs in warm weather, a light Down Sweater or Micropuff jacket may be appropriate.
- Sun visor or ball cap: For protection from the sun. Cotton allowed! It’s just a baseball cap.
- Climbing pack: Your pack should be compact, and should be no larger than 40 liters in capacity. Look for a simple, light pack and one that fits you well. Stay away from wide, large packs, and book bag style packs. Black Diamond Speed 30 and Epic 35 are ideal.
- Lunch and snacks for each day: If you’re going multi-pitch climbing, you may want to bring a variety of stuff that’s easy to eat on the go. Bagels, cheese, salami, dried fruit, gorp, even Power Bars are good choices. Make sure to bring food that you’ll actually want to eat. ¾ to 1 lb. or approximately 1500-2000 calories per day. If you’re on a more casual agenda, feel free to bring a sandwich or whatever you like.
- Water, two or three 1L (32oz) bottles: A Camelbak or hydration bladder can also work. Wide-mouth Nalgene bottles are the standard but Gatorade or other sports drink bottles also work great as long as they can seal tightly. Water is available at Smith Rock State Park, but not immediately at the climbing areas.
- Sunglasses: Sunglasses should be high quality and dark.
- Sun block (SPF 30 or more): The higher the SPF, the better.
- Lip balm (SPF 15 or more): Any lip balm with SPF 15 or more will work.
- Camera (optional): One charge should last you for the duration of the trip.
Technical Climbing Gear
These are the items that you will be expected to bring or arrange to rent. Timberline Mountain Guides will provide ropes, carabiners and protection as per objective.
All rental gear must be requested in advance!
- Approach shoes or trail running shoes: Lightweight footwear for the hike in. Light hiking boots can also be worn, but if you’re planning on multi-pitch climbing, you will most likely have your shoes clipped to your harness or in your backpack while on route, so you will want to avoid heavy and/or big boots. Five Ten Guide Tennies and La Sportiva Boulder X or equivalent work great.
- Rock climbing shoes (available upon request): Rock climbing shoes should fit snugly for optimal performance. Bonecrushingly tight shoes are not necessary, but they should be tight enough to allow you to utilize smaller holds. Shoes should not be comfortable for walking, but should also not make you want to cry. La Sportiva Mythos and Tarantula are great examples.
- Climbing harness (available upon request): If you have your own harness and it is a modern climbing harness in good condition, you are of course welcome to use it instead of ours. Harnesses should be able to fit over layers and be comfortable under a pack, and must have a belay loop in good condition. Black Diamond Momentum and Chaos are great examples. Bod style harnesses are not recommended.
- Helmet (available upon request): If you have your own helmet and it is a modern climbing helmet in good condition, you are of course welcome to use it instead of ours. The Black Diamond Half Dome and Tracer are great examples.
Additional Gear for Long Multi-Pitch Climbs
(RED ROCKS, MONKEY FACE CLIMBS, ETC.)
Though a fully technical kit is not essential, you may want to consider synthetic baselayers and light softshells for longer, more committing objectives.lake success zip code lasik success rate late ovulation pregnancy success letrozole success stories 2020 lexapro success rate march 2 success meniscus root repair success rate metformin weight loss success stories 2019 morning routine for success poems about success quotes about hard work and success quotes about success and achievement ralph waldo emerson success real estate success sales success quotes secret of my success cast secret of my success soundtrack skin success fade milk slap tear surgery success rate strategies for success student success coach success boil in bag rice success com success criteria examples success insider success nutrients success partners llc success qoutes success rice boil in bag success short motivational quotes success solution success vision conway ar suffering from success meme suited for success the road to success is always under construction tips for success vaccine success rate weight watcher success what is the definition of success success rate success rate 5 dpo symptoms success stories allergy immunotherapy success rate bcm success factors bcm success factors blighted ovum success stories business success quotes c6 c7 surgery success rate center for success and independence client success manager salary cpr success rate crystals for luck and success customer success manager jobs customer success manager resumes customer success manager salary daily affirmations for success dental success network differential reproductive success drake quotes about success drake success dress for success cincinnati dress for success houston entrepreneurs success stories fresh success smoothie mix herbalife success story how to pronounce success inspirational quotes for success inspiring quotes about success isaac success iud success rate iui success iui success rates iui success stories 2020 keto success keto success stories kitchen nightmares success lake success golf club lake success shopping center mirtazapine success stories mission success motivational quotes for success motivational quotes for work success mustang success center noom success stories ovulation pain and pregnancy success ovulation pain and pregnancy success stories plan for success probability of success quotes on success in life quotes success road to success quotes scentsy success shark tank success stories skin success fade milk songs about success success crossword clue success for all success good morning quotes success in life success is not final success kid memes success meaning success plan success rates of ivf success schools success story success tms success vision express tarkov key to success texas success academy the 10x rule: the only difference between success and failure the secret to my success the sweet smell of success vbac success rate vet success was the new deal a success was the new deal a success way of the wolf: straight line selling: master the art of persuasion, influence, and success weight loss success what does success mean what is success to you what is the success rate of heart valve replacement surgery success stories 4 success realty achieves success bariatric surgery success rates before we can evaluate the success of a drug treatment program, we have to understand the program's best quotation about success best revenge is success challenge success client success manager connections to success driving to success embryo transfer success rates empty sac at 8 weeks success stories failure is the mother of success femara success first cycle first relationship after divorce success rate give and take a revolutionary approach to success give and take: a revolutionary approach to success goal to success quotes great success gif home depot success sharing how do you define success how do you measure success how do you say success in spanish inspirational quotes about success jay z success keytruda success rate kidney transplant success rate lake success shopping center magnet of success measures of success measuring success midwives brew success rate motivational success quotes northwell health lake success palmer skin success probability of success calculator progesterone weight loss success stories quotes on success and hard work roads to success quotes shark tank success spell for success stones for success struggling from success dress for success locations laws of success aes success bachelor success rate customer success jobs pictures of success